From Concept to Cover: The Journey of A Ripple in Time

At the beginning of the summer, I had the great pleasure to meet a fellow author on the twitverse, Julia Hughes. Julia was running a promotion for her novel A Ripple in Time and I was immediately intrigued by its blurb: “After one hundred years, the Titanic has a new love story.” Julia and I started tweeting, also thanks to a common friend, Randall Peterson who was promoting her book and mine. A friendship was born out of 140 characters at a time. Later, Julia saw my drawings and asked me if I wanted to work on the new cover for A Ripple in Time, which meanwhile had had more than twenty thousand downloads in mere five days. I was flattered that my naïf art had caught Julia’s attention. Her proposal arrived at an odd moment for me, I was leaving to go back to Italy for a long stay due to family reasons. My mind was stretched in several directions at once, but Julia assured me she was in no hurry. Nevertheless, I don’t like to have people waiting on me when I accept to work on a project, and so once Julia told me what she wanted on the cover, I started playing with my tablet. One of her requirements was that the cover must have dandelion flowers and seeds. I had never drawn a dandelion flower before and I scouted the web for good images I could use as reference. It turns out, I love drawing dandelions and dandelions seeds. Below are my first and second mock covers and the banner.

A Ripple in Time Dandelion_thumb

A ripple in Time cover 2_thumb

A Ripple in Time Banner_thumb

Once the backdrop was done, I asked my cover artist and dear friend, Alessandro Fiorini to come onboard. I gave him the specifics of what Julia wanted on the cover: a sundial, a winged figure, and of course the Titanic.

Alessandro told me he was going to give it a try and contacted me a few hours later with this:

Julia-Hughess-cover_thumb2

I thought it was a solid work and sent the image to Julia. Once we received the okay from her, Alessandro and I started working on the details. Despite a particularly hot Italian summer, internet failures, and life in general, a few weeks later we were able to send Julia the final cover. Below is one of the final tries and the banner.

A-Ripple-in-Time-con-bollino-1_thumb

A-Ripple-in-Time-Banner_thumb2

Working with Alessandro is always a treat and Julia is one fabulous patron of the arts and it was an absolute pleasure to create a cover for her imaginative novel.

Advertisements
From Concept to Cover: The Journey of A Ripple in Time

Monday Drawing #6

I was exposed to the ‘double rainbow’ video earlier in the morning and something must have charged my synapses. Not my cleanest painting and I did a mess with the layers. Nevertheless, here it is.

Una Finestra Per Sognare

Una Finestra Per Sognare

Monday Drawing #6

Monday Drawing #3

Today, I worked for three hours on one of the most whimsical pieces I have created. My words will have to suffice. When I was signing the piece, the pc’s battery died, the screen went blank, and since Artrage doesn’t have the autosave I lost every single pixel. I swore in Italian, then vented on Facebook and Twitter in English, finally started again. The moral of the story is: Artrage is the greatest software for painting, but you have to immediately name the drawing and save every five minutes. It took me other three hours to recreate what I remembered of the first piece. Not the same atmosphere, but it has the same subjects plus a flock of sheep. The black one represents my mood.

Butterfly in Bloom

Butterfly in Bloom

Monday Drawing #3