And this is what you eventually make with lemons and lemonades. Or, at least, this is what I made with yesterday’s drawing.
I had a busy morning which transitioned into a busy afternoon without stopping for lunch. Thankfully, I have friends with renewed cooking skills. None of what I just mentioned has anything to do with the image I’m going to post below. I just like writing. That’s all.
At the beginning of the summer, I had the great pleasure to meet a fellow author on the twitverse, Julia Hughes. Julia was running a promotion for her novel A Ripple in Time and I was immediately intrigued by its blurb: “After one hundred years, the Titanic has a new love story.” Julia and I started tweeting, also thanks to a common friend, Randall Peterson who was promoting her book and mine. A friendship was born out of 140 characters at a time. Later, Julia saw my drawings and asked me if I wanted to work on the new cover for A Ripple in Time, which meanwhile had had more than twenty thousand downloads in mere five days. I was flattered that my naïf art had caught Julia’s attention. Her proposal arrived at an odd moment for me, I was leaving to go back to Italy for a long stay due to family reasons. My mind was stretched in several directions at once, but Julia assured me she was in no hurry. Nevertheless, I don’t like to have people waiting on me when I accept to work on a project, and so once Julia told me what she wanted on the cover, I started playing with my tablet. One of her requirements was that the cover must have dandelion flowers and seeds. I had never drawn a dandelion flower before and I scouted the web for good images I could use as reference. It turns out, I love drawing dandelions and dandelions seeds. Below are my first and second mock covers and the banner.
Once the backdrop was done, I asked my cover artist and dear friend, Alessandro Fiorini to come onboard. I gave him the specifics of what Julia wanted on the cover: a sundial, a winged figure, and of course the Titanic.
Alessandro told me he was going to give it a try and contacted me a few hours later with this:
I thought it was a solid work and sent the image to Julia. Once we received the okay from her, Alessandro and I started working on the details. Despite a particularly hot Italian summer, internet failures, and life in general, a few weeks later we were able to send Julia the final cover. Below is one of the final tries and the banner.
Working with Alessandro is always a treat and Julia is one fabulous patron of the arts and it was an absolute pleasure to create a cover for her imaginative novel.
Worked with Paint.NET on my most recent Monday drawing to create a new fairytale prompt. Lately, the editing of Prince is taking all my time and energies, and drawing helps me direct my mind somewhere else. Despite the fact that yesterday drawing was messy, there’s something about the colors and the composition I like. Changed both light and saturation, and finally I applied the ink sketch and photo filters, plus text.
A friend of mine had an important birthday and I wanted to make something special to commemorate her festive day. Think I nailed it.
And once I gave the plate to my friend, I still got to play with it. Paint.NET: ink sketch filter and some color and light enhancement.
A recent picture showing my fabulous purple highlights. I used Paint.NET to soften the background and intensify the hair color.